About Delaware Township
The township was first settled in the early 18th century by Colonel John Reading (1657–1717), who was instrumental in the creation of Amwell Township in 1708 and also worked for the creation of Hunterdon County in 1714. Delaware was incorporated as a township by an act of the New Jersey Legislature on April 2, 1838 from Amwell Township which is now defunct. On April 14, 1898 a portion of Delaware township was taken to form Stockton borough. The township has a total area of 37.05 square miles (95.95 km2), including 36.66 square miles (94.94 km2) of land and 0.39 square miles (1.01 km2) of water (1.06%). As of the 2010 United States Census, the township's population was 4,563.
The state's lone surviving historic covered bridge is also located within the Township. Green Sergeant's Covered Bridge was constructed in 1872 and was rebuilt and reinforced in 1961. It crosses the Wickecheoke Creek between Sergeantsville and Rosemont and is on the National Register of Historic Places, #74001165.
The Delaware and Raritan Canal parallels the Delaware River along the southern border of the township. Part of the township is on the Hunterdon Plateau, while the southern portions are in the Amwell Valley. Sergeantsville is at the township's center and includes the municipal building, local public school and Post Office.
The township borders the municipalities of East Amwell Township, Franklin Township, Kingwood Township, Lambertville, Raritan Township, Stockton Borough and West Amwell Township in Hunterdon County.
To learn more about the history of Delaware Township, please visit: